Friday 24 August 2012

Hadrian's Wall

I have had reason to visit Carlisle several times over the last few years, and every time I got off the M6 at junction 43 I saw the little brown road sign pointing right to Hadrian's wall, but I never had time to turn right, until two weeks ago.  Katy was away with friends so Robert and I escaped the torrential rain in Lancashire and headed north. 

I love the drive up to Carlisle, even though it's only a motorway, you pass some beautiful scenery as you go through the lake district.  However, I have never yet captured a decent photograph of my favourite part, so I can't show it to you.  I'll do better next time.  On the drive this time we drove through a flock of birds. Literally.  There's a part with a large grass verge separating the north and south bound carriageways and a flock of birds lifted off from the verge right in front of our car and we drove through them.  Didn't hit a single one, it was amazing.

When we got off at junction 43 I was so excited to be turning right instead of left.  A little sad maybe, but I had wanted to do this for years, and now I finally could.  We were heading for Housesteads which I had read were the biggest and most well preserved Roman ruins.  We passed through a tiny village called Twice Brewed on the way there.  You've gotta love some of these remote English place names.

When we arrived at Housesteads there was quite a walk up the hill from the car park, but I had been assured by trip advisor that it was worth it, and it wasn't wrong.  The ruins were mostly just foundations but I love the sense of history you get when you stand in a place like that.  And the views were incredible.

Himself sitting on the ruins

Part of the ruins and the view

Actual Hadrian's Wall

Roman Barracks

After Housestead, we decided to head back towards Carlisle and visit another sight called Birdoswald, which were much smaller ruins.  The guide in the shop told us there was an excellent view down the valley from the south gate of the ruins, so we headed in that direction, walking around the ruins and through the sheep.  There was a convenient large slab of stone, just right for sitting on.  I'm not sure how long we sat there, but it was so peaceful and calming we didn't want to leave.  I go back there in my head sometimes and can remember the feeling of tranquility we both experienced.

Birdoswald

Enjoying the peace and quiet

After our visit to the wall we went back to Carlisle where we were staying for the night.  We booked into a cheap Travelodge, which turned out to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.  It was an old 1950's office building that had been converted into a hotel, and when we walked into our room it really did feel like someone had just left a double bed in the middle of an office.  The ceiling was about 20 feet high and the window was so far up that I could barely see out of it.  No curtains, just a roller blind, and grubby white walls.  Still, it was cheap and we were only sleeping there one night.

We hardly spent any time there as we went out for dinner and then  a movie before crashing into bed around midnight. Excellent day.

1 comment:

  1. Was a good trip and I wish we were still sitting on that stone it was just an amazing feeling :) love you babe

    ReplyDelete