Wednesday 14 March 2012

The one with the argument about Monica's apartment

Last night there was nothing on tv and neither of us could be bothered to change the channel so we ended up watching a very early first series episode of Friends.  It was an episode where they discovered that there was someone with a telescope who was looking into their apartment.  Joey was also complaining that this person was looking into his apartment too.

Robert made a remark that the person with the telescope couldn't possibly see into both apartments from where they were because the windows were not on the same side.  I disagreed with him and explained how the windows in the two apartments were both on the same side of the building.

The next fifteen minutes or so were then taken up by me explaining how when you went into Monica's apartment, you turned left into the kitchen, and past the kitchen was the bathroom and you then came to the window. I also explained that as you came into the apartment, directly opposite the front door was the wall with the television and the doors to the two bedrooms.  The programme was still on and I kept saying "look, at the tv, it's right in front of you".  Of course, because the camera angle kept changing it was difficult to get a full picture.

Robert was telling me that as you came into the apartment you went in a straight line to the window, and as he tried to draw this on the carpet he was making a diagonal line with his finger from the "door" to the "window", but kept telling me it was a straight line.

He couldn't see in his mind what I was trying to explain to him.  I was getting frustrated because he wasn't listening to me and he went online to find a plan of the apartment to see who was right.  I already knew who was right, and carried on trying to explain the layout, but by this time he was refusing to listen to me until he had found a plan.

He was struggling to find such a layout, so he then suggested that we both draw what we thought the layout was.  This is Robert's drawing. The apartment on the right is his idea of Monica's and the one on the left is Joey's.

Robert's inaccurate drawing

Here is my drawing of the two apartments.  Again, Monica's on the right and Joey's on the left.

My accurate drawing

Obviously this was now of vital importance to prove who was right. Robert was still searching online for a layout, and he finally found one that was a cartoon drawing of Monica's apartment.  Because it was only a drawing he tried to claim that maybe it wasn't correct.  I asked him whose drawing was like the online picture.  He couldn't look me in the eye when he reluctantly said "yours is".

The programme was still on, and roundabout the same time, someone came through the front door and stayed by the kitchen counter so I was able to prove without doubt that the kitchen was on the left of the front door and Robert finally gave in.  Victory was mine mwahahaha.  Quite frankly, I don't know why he ever bothers to argue with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment