Thursday 23 February 2012

Anniversary Plus One

This was our last day in London and on the agenda was a trip to the famous Camden market.  On Friday I had spoken to Kim and we had arranged to meet up for some lunch today.  We made contact with her at around midday and she promptly told us that she was dead after getting in at 8am.  Even the offer of a free lunch couldn't rouse her so we didn't get to see her this time round.

We checked out of the hotel and dropped off our luggage at Euston before going to the market.  Not sure what was going on but there seemed to be a few people in fancy dress.  Passed a superman, two farm animals and a girl dressed as a Grecian.

Let me say right now that Camden market is amazing and enormous.  The Stables market used to be where they stabled the horses that pulled barges on the nearby canal.  There are so many turns and round every corner was another section with all sorts of stalls.  A lot of them are built into the old bridge arches and are really quite large inside.  It's hard to describe as there was so much to it.  I bought a silver ring from the first stall we stopped at and the stall holder re-sized it for me while we waited.

One very small part of the stables market


We met a lady who had a second hand clothes stall who seemed intent on telling us her life story.  Although it sounded interesting, I was afraid to ask her any questions as if I had I think we would have been there all day.

I had to photograph this stall because the colours were amazing.

Loved this stall
I was on a mission to find some vintage clothing because Katy needed a hippy style outfit for her show in May.  I wasn't sure what number it was for so we had to text her to check I was looking for the right style.  I found a few stalls and outfits but until she got back to me I wasn't sure if they would be right.  When she finally replied she told me it was for the Sweet Charity number.  By the time I got the answer we had wandered quite a way round the market.  Good job I have a decent sense of direction as I found my way back to he stall with the best outfits quite easily and managed to get two from a sale rail.  Perfect original sixties clothing.  However, because Katy hadn't answered straight away, we had also texted her dance teacher, and much later that night she got back to me and told me it needed to be seventies kaftan hippy style.  Hmm, that's not Sweet Charity.

There were some wonderful smells coming from all the food stalls.  Every time we went past one selling Chinese food they were offering samples.  We had resisted all afternoon until nearly tea time when we were both hungry.  We gave in and took a sample and we were hooked.  Noodles and three different toppings for four pounds, and it was totally yum.  Practically next door was a stall selling crepes so that was dessert taken care of.  Unfortunately the toppings I had asked for made it very difficult and messy to eat.  The chocolate and coconut were fine, it was the cream that caused the problem. 

By this time we had wandered as far as Camden lock and the crowds were getting thicker.  

Can't really see it on the photo but this tree is covered in blue fairy lights
We arrived at the lock just as a barge was approaching, so we got to see it in action.

Camden lock in action
Time to make our way back to Euston for the train home.  It was only three stops on the tube, which isn't very far so I had the idea to walk.  Glad we did because it was a lovely day.  We saw some proper punks, with all the gear and hair.  Drain pipes, studs, lots of black, very large spiky hair and piercings.  Would love to have got a photo but thought it best not to try and photograph proper punks as I don't think they would have been too pleased.

By the time we got to Euston we found we actually had an hour to wait for our train so we took advantage of the first class lounge as we'd paid for a first class weekend upgrade for the journey home.  The lounge is split into two sections, one of which is a quiet zone.  I now know I'm turning into a grumpy old woman because I don't think it's appropriate to take your snotty nosed toddler who just wants to run around and slap the glass tables, into the quiet zone.  I also don't think it's appropriate to get out your Ipad and watch a football match without earphones in the quiet zone.  It's called a quiet zone for a reason people who either can't read signs or have no regard for them.

The rest of the journey home was quieter, and I beat Robert at Scrabble again.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment