Wednesday 16 March 2016

My 500 Words - Today's Writing Project

I don’t like my mother in law and she doesn’t like me.  Now, I’m not just assuming she doesn’t like me, I know it because she has told me in no uncertain terms.  If you were unfortunate enough to encounter this woman and you were to ask her to describe me, then the words she would use would be snobbish, fat and not good enough for her son.  Now let me describe her to you.

She is 74 years old and around five foot 4 inches tall.  I’d say she is fairly average build for a woman of her age.  There’s some extra meat on the bones and the usual age related general drift south of all things that once stayed present and correct.  Her hair has always been quite blonde, so although there are grey streaks, you can’t really see them because they blend in with the rest of her coiffure.  Have you heard of the term “resting bitch face”?  Well I’m pretty sure she’s the reason this phrase was invented, although in her case it’s not just an unfortunate and incorrect assumption of her demeanour.
 
Here’s a story about one reason for my dislike of this woman.  It was Christmas several years ago, and on Boxing Day my mother and father in law were visiting us in our home.  We’d had a buffet lunch that I’d spent all morning preparing when I would rather have been having a nice long lie in to recover from the excesses of the day before, and we were sitting in the lounge relaxing with a nice cup of tea.  She hadn’t even said thank you for any of this and was now slumped in my favourite armchair with her usual scowl as though she’d been smacked round the face with a wet flannel.

I was trying to make polite conversation for the sake of my husband and for on-going family relations, but it wasn’t easy.  There are only so many things you can say about the English weather or so many questions you can ask about what she got for Christmas.  We had bought her what was, in my opinion, a very nice present that I had taken quite a bit of thought over.  It was a professional family portrait with my husband, our two children and the family dog.  I had asked her if she liked it and her response was “It’s fine, but you know I don’t like dogs so I don’t know why you’d want to include him in the picture.  I’m sure I don’t know where I’m going to put it”.  See what I mean?   I think my response was quite restrained, considering, but apparently it pushed our laboured relationship too far.  I just pointed out that perhaps if she’d put a bit more care and thought into the presents she gave to her grandchildren then maybe they’d be in here spending time with her instead of playing with gifts that were bought as stocking fillers by their aunts and uncles who hadn’t even seen them since last Christmas.

She didn’t take this too well, and the next thing I knew she was coming towards me with the speed of a young foal, having leapt out of the soft cushioning of my beloved armchair and covering the eight foot distance across the room in seconds, to land a punch smack bang in the  middle of my face.  My eyes watered immediately; I covered my face with my hands, and after the initial shock and disbelief I ran out and headed for the bathroom.  This woman was not going to get the satisfaction of seeing me crumple into a mass of tears, blood and mucus.

While I was in there checking for damage and composing myself, I heard the front door open and close.  My husband had suggested that they leave before I came back down.  I admit what I had said was intentionally provocative, but I’d never been physically struck in my life before.  How on earth could I be connected to a person who could stoop to that level, and what’s more, how had my husband turned out as well as he did with a mother like that?  It was for his sake that I resolved to leave the matter there, and we never mentioned it again.

A few months later when mother’s day was approaching my husband asked me to pick up some flowers while I was out shopping for food, and he would take them round to his mum the next day.  I chose a lovely arrangement with what I knew were her favourite colours.  Large pink daisies and some delicate gypsophila.  I showed them to my husband and he agreed that they would be something she would like.  Then I picked out one of the longest stemmed flowers and took it upstairs with me to the bathroom, where I pulled down my pants and wiped the stem in the crevice of my ample behind before replacing it in the bunch.


To this day it still makes me smile at the thought of her taking the flowers off her beloved son, holding them close to her nose and breathing in their sweet fragrance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment